Saturday, December 18, 2010

Thing #9, Fitting 23 Things into the Christmas Holiday Rush

Tagging, Delicious, bookmarking, visiting relatives staying in my computer room, shopping, library parties, starting a new job, bad headcold -- where does one start to contemplate all the things that need to be done?

I've carved out a few moments to esplore social tagging (thought that was something graffitti artists did) and bookmarking, most specifically, Delicious.

I've used the favorites toolbar on my Explorer for many years, now and have felt the annoyance when using another computer and thinking, "Just what was that website I liked so much?"  I think having a favorites option on any computer would be great and after signing up for Delicious and finally figuring out how to update my toolbar, I can see that it would be handy to have...if I just remember my passords and log-ons.  I just might use it in the future.

I've explored several tags and what pops up: books and reading, DIYweddings, Aprons, and other eclectic offerings.

Just what tags would I put on the "23 Things" Blog? Probably: Brevard, Libraries, Librarians, 23Things, Web2.0, Facebook, Twitter, FlickR, Blogs, WebMail, (I haven't looked ahead to see what some of the other 23 things are).

How could it be used in libraries? As the other libraries have used it - on our local sites we could have a sidebar that features sites we find the most helpful when answering patron's questions.  As I have jsut begun as a Reference Librarian, these will probably become more obvious to me with time.  I can see that as a book club facilitator we could add various sites on book clubs, book review sites and author sites.  We could also add websites about the area the book is about.

I never knew this type of tool was available and see how it could be helpful if you just remember to use it.

Merry Christmas, everyone and have a good New Year!

Nancy the Librarian (at last)

1 comment:

  1. This is a very useful tool, for exactly reasons you mentioned, especially "Just what was that website I liked so much?".

    Mery Christmas and best of luck in your new position.

    ReplyDelete